Munro is a beautiful one acre waterfront park with lawns, perennial gardens and specimen trees all enjoying spectacular views of Mattapoisett Harbor and Buzzards Bay beyond.
There are a number of benches as well as steps into the harbor near the western edge of the property. The stone seawall was reconstructed in 1999 and maintained again in 2015. There is no parking available on the property.
The Munro property was a gift in 1975 of Ruth Munro, who lived in the big yellow house across the street on the corner of Water and Pearl Streets. Mrs. Munro’s late husband was from a family long associated with Mattapoisett and its whaling history. In fact, this property was part of the site of the town’s first shipyard, acquired in 1752 by shipbuilder Charles Stetson of Scituate. Within 25 years, according to Charles S. Mendell, Jr., no less than eight other shipbuilders established shipyards and wharves, and Mattapoisett became famous as the Whaleship building capital of the world. We honor Mrs. Munro for her generous gift, the second property received by the newly-formed Mattapoisett Land Trust.
Ruth B. Munro, 1975
Intersection of Main and Water Streets, directly west of the Mattapoisett town wharves and Shipyard Park. Limited parking is available at the wharves. Ample additional parking is available nearby at the large public lot on Depot Street.
View Mattapoisett Land Trust Properties in a larger map