Brandt Island Cove District
The Brandt Island Cove District includes four MLT preserves for a total of 151 acres:
- the Ferreira Preserve, 6.83 acres, donated by Thomas and Barbara Ferreira in 1990, 1994 and 1995;
- the Walega-Livingstone Preserve, 107.9 acres, purchased from the Walega and Livingstone families in 2007;
- the Osprey Preserve, 24.91 acres, purchased from Jeanne Downey in 2014; and
- the Tinkham Preserve, 11.05 acres, conveyed to MLT from the Wildlands Trust in 2018. The Tinkham Preserve had been owned by members of the Tinkham family since 1826, and was donated to Wildlands Trust in 1995 by Charles M. Lang and Priscilla M. Tinkham.
MLT honors Mr. and Mrs. Ferreira for their generous gift of land that enabled MLT’s first holdings in the Brandt Island Cove District. And we thank Wildlands Trust for conveying the generous gift of salt meadow from heirs of the Tinkham family.
The Osprey and Walega-Livingstone properties feature an out-and-back trail through the woods leading to salt marshes and the shores of Brandt Island Cove. The cove and adjoining salt marshes are wonderful places to see birds including ospreys, bald eagles, and ducks during the winter. There is a raised bird observation platform on the Walega-Livinstone Preserve located part way south on the trail. The trails can be uneven and muddy in places, so wear suitable footwear for your visit. Parking and informational kiosks are available.
There are two access points: (1) at the end of Whalers Way, park on the east side of the road, or (2) at the corner of Anchorage Way and Tara Road, park in the short extension of Anchorage Way running east from the intersection. Kiosks are located a short distance down the trail and within sight from each parking area.
View Mattapoisett Land Trust Properties in a larger map